Great news, the Media optimization for Microsoft Teams is now available for Windows client for Windows Virtual Desktop. Media optimizations require Windows Desktop client version 1.2.1026.0 or later.
With media optimization for Microsoft Teams, the Windows Desktop client handles audio and video locally for calls and meetings. You can still use Microsoft Teams on Windows Virtual Desktop with other clients without optimized calling and meetings. Teams chat and collaboration features are supported on all platforms.
Note: Media optimization for Microsoft Teams is only available for the Windows Desktop client on Windows 10 machines. Media optimizations require Windows Desktop client version 1.2.1026.0 or later.
Before you can use Microsoft Teams on Windows Virtual Desktop, you’ll need to do these things:
- Prepare your network for Microsoft Teams.
- Install the Windows Desktop client on a Windows 10 or Windows 10 IoT Enterprise device that meets the Microsoft Teams hardware requirements for Teams on a Windows PC.
- Connect to a Windows 10 Multi-session or Windows 10 Enterprise virtual machine (VM).
- Install the Teams desktop app on the host using per-machine installation. Media optimization for Microsoft Teams requires Teams desktop app version 1.3.00.4461 or later.
Install the Teams desktop app
This section will show you how to install the Teams desktop app on your Windows 10 Multi-session or Windows 10 Enterprise VM image. To learn more, check out Install or update the Teams desktop app on VDI.
Prepare your image for Teams
To enable media optimization for Teams, set the following registry key on the host:
- From the start menu, run RegEdit as an administrator. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Teams.
- Create the following value for the Teams key:
Install the Teams WebSocket Service
Install Microsoft Teams
You can deploy the Teams desktop app using a per-machine or per-user installation. To install Microsoft Teams in your Windows Virtual Desktop environment:
Note: Media optimization for Microsoft Teams requires Teams desktop app version 1.3.00.4461 or later.
- Download the Teams MSI package that matches your environment. We recommend using the 64-bit installer on a 64-bit operating system.
- Run one of the following commands to install the MSI to the host VM:
msiexec /i <path_to_msi> /l*v <install_logfile_name> ALLUSER=1 ALLUSERS=1
This installs Teams to the Program Files (x86) folder on a 64-bit operating system and to the Program Files folder on a 32-bit operating system. At this point, the golden image setup is complete. Installing Teams per-machine is required for non-persistent setups.
The next time you open Teams in a session, you’ll be asked for your credentials.
Verify media optimizations loaded
After installing the WebSocket Service and the Teams desktop app, follow these steps to verify that Teams media optimizations loaded:
- Select your user profile image, then select About.
- Select Version.If media optimizations loaded, the banner will show you WVD Media optimized. If the banner shows you WVD Media not connected, quit the Teams app and try again.
- Select your user profile image, then select Settings.If media optimizations loaded, the audio devices and cameras available locally will be enumerated in the device menu. If the menu shows Remote audio, quit the Teams app and try again. If the devices still don’t appear in the menu, go back to Install Microsoft Teams and make sure you’ve completed the installation process.